Newsrooms are used to covering crime. Rarely, do they take steps to fix it.
We dare to be different.
Created by KARK and Fox16, Victory Over Violence was launched in Little Rock, Arkansas in February 2017 following the shootings deaths of 2-year-old Ramiya Reed and 3-year-old Acen King. VOV operates under the belief that to solve Little Rock’s crime problem, we need to start with ourselves and “be the solution.”
The goal of the effort is to cover crime in a responsible manner focusing on impact, response and solutions. Victory Over Violence aims to unite community groups and leaders in Little Rock and be a resource for combating violence, reducing crime and changing lives through improvements in education, jobs, mentoring, and hunger. The Emmy-nominated campaign features unique content, promotional advertisements, and community initiatives.
- Victory Walks in four Little Rock neighborhoods
- Signed up more than 220 people for mentoring program
- Citywide prayer rally featuring pastors from 60+ churches
- Job fair with Goodwill featuring 73 employers and 700 job candidates
- Second chance job training for more than 300 felons
- Internet town hall with LRSD students
- Town Halls with Clinton School of Public Service
- Donated more than $50,000 to partner organizations
- Monthly $1,000 donations to “Difference Makers” in community